Work with us
- Strategy “blitz” sessions
- Background research (case studies, social forces, values, mental models)
- Barriers Analyses
- Audience segmentation
- Survey / interview / focus group design, implementation and reporting
- Messaging, collateral and interface design
- Behavior change program design, piloting, implementation and evaluation
- Social media strategy
- Short topical training
- 1 & 2 day workshops
- Specialized trainings tailored to meet the needs of your organization
Common to all trainings
- Through our training, you will learn how to immediately integrate behavior design into your effort, driving success and creating lasting impact for your organization and, most importantly, for the environmental movement.
- Techniques to identify the barriers to action faced by your target group.
- Examples of recently conducted experiments and real world applications that provide insight on specific best practices.
- Initiative redesign strategies: an in-depth look at how organizations are failing to captivate or motivate their audiences, and how you can jump ahead of the curve.
Topics may include
- Designing the best choice architecture in a specific setting
- Designing pledges for lasting impact
- Exploring how cognitive dissonance can help to strengthen commitments
- Guidance framing your outreach efforts that are compatible with cognitive biases
- Connecting through comparison: how to best create normative messages
- Highlighting progress for enhanced motivation
- Making it matter: working to localize abstract messages
- Value-matching as a tactic to connect with your audience
“This workshop taught me so much more than I ever hoped for! I am so excited to apply this incredible new knowledge to all my programs and interactions!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!”
“I feel like anyone working in environmental program design and implementation should receive this training, especially if they have a goal of changing peoples’ behavior. The training was interesting, engaging, and relevant; we came out of it with specific steps we can take to improve our programming to make it more relevant and effective.”
“This work actually gets at a process for lasting, sustainable solutions to environmental problems, and can be applied to virtually any issue or topic. These solutions/interventions are personal and direct and are therefore more effective. Decision science is the mechanism for bringing together often polarized issues and creating life-long change to better our world and strengthen human-to-human connection!"
“A great workshop for those who work in community organizing and/or engagement! The building blocks presented in the Root Solutions workshop are great tools to help you design an engagement project that targets any obstacles you might face and provides you with the tools to overcome that obstacle. Great information, great presenters, and an overall great experience! I think anybody who works in sustainability and/or environmental departments in their city or county would benefit from attending this workshop!"
"As a Sustainability Coordinator in higher education I oversee a myriad of programs and projects. I try to apply behavior change principles to these efforts but I do not always have the time, staff or resources. I have been fortunate to attend in person and web-based trainings with Root Solutions for a project I am working on. I have benefited greatly from the relevant research, engaging and interactive presentations and the supportive training. I have been provided with resources, encouragement and coaching to help make my latest project seem less daunting. I would highly recommend Root Solutions workshops for professionals that are novice or experienced in behavior change strategies."
"The Root Solutions Behavior Design Workshop is the best conference I’ve been to! The Root Solutions Behavior Design Workshop was extremely informative for addressing a milieu of questions - effectively empowering all non-profit representatives in attendance with the proven calculated methods to affect meaningful change by reaching all audiences."
“[The workshop] covers much of the science behind an articulate and well-rounded framework in ways that those doing work in conservation behavior can readily apply.”
“If you are wondering how the latest social science can be applied to help you better target and persuade your target audience, the Root Solutions workshop is a must. Nya and Lauren have done the hard work for you, reviewing and mastering the essential findings, and presenting them succinctly and convincingly in a well-crafted and effective workshop. I recommend this without reservation.”
"I feel lucky to have attended Root Solution's Behavior Change training! Even though we only had three hours to get through an enormous amount of information, Lauren and Nya were able to perfectly summarize their knowledge. Their presentations were well organized, understandable, and engaging. They offered ideas and tactics that were immediately implementable. This presentation was absolutely the highlight of a jam-packed 4-day conference. Keep up the fantastic work!"
“Root Solutions gave me hope that my small organization can amplify our voice and make change in our community -- I learned specific techniques and received tangible tools to improve our campaign messaging and achieve real behavioral outcomes.”
“This training provides incredibly useful information about designing an effective and long-lasting project aiming to change behavior. You are educated on a vast amount of tools that can be used in pretty much any setting. I will regularly reference my notes from this training and Root Solutions as a whole to help me create successful projects around environmental issues.”